Monday, May 11, 2009

It seems that Sign Language for babies is being more and more widely used. Parents are reaping the benefits of being able to communicate with their babies when they are young, which is actually very rewarding for the baby and the parent. Diane Ryan, the author of The Complete Idiot's Guide to Baby Sign Language is there to help parents achieve successful sign language. I tried signing with Chandler, but wasn't consistent. I didn't have any particular method, I just showed him the sign over and over. He didn't pick it up right away, so I became frustrated and just gave up. We have struggled with communication until about the last 6-7 months so it's been a long road. I really believe if I had kept trying to sign with him, communication would have come easier.
Generally speaking, babies who learn to sign speak sooner and have less frustration with communication. When we received this book, I was quite excited to give it a go with Rowan, now 16 months.

Pros: This book has a great introduction. It outlines what the fuss is all about, how you and your baby will benefit, and why and how it works. I think this is incredibly important. You need to know the benefits and why you should sign. Once you have some background, it makes it that much more motivating to do.
The second part of the book includes introducing signs, and my favorite part - teaching your baby to sign in 2 weeks! We have introduced the first three signs to Rowan, which are: more, eat and milk. (We are actually using drink instead of milk since he is a bit older.) We have been emphasizing "more" since it is a sign that babies easily pick up and according to the book is often their first spoken word. One thing that the book really emphasizes is consistency and making sure that all caregivers are signing. My DH is definitely on board and we are both making sure that we sign with Rowan. Often times, it seems when you start signing, you just sign. This book teaches you different techniques on how to actually teach a sign, which has been incredibly helpful. Another sign that I am really excited to start teaching Rowan is "pain." Once a baby learns this sign, they should be able to tell you where they are hurting or having pain. Nice, right? There are some great techniques outlined to teach this sign.
The next chapter focuses on teaching your baby to sign in 2 weeks. 2 weeks! Isn't that amazing? In order to do this, Diane suggests your baby be at least 11 months old. We started signing almost 3 weeks ago, and with the techniques outlined and a lot of consistency, Rowan has started signing more and eat. He signs more by clapping the tips of his fingers, but I bet he'll be doing it right in no time, and I'm impressed he's making an effort! He has only done both signs a few times and I was really hoping to get it on video, but we all know that babies do things on their own time and most times not on demand. I'm confident as time goes on, he will use both signs in his daily vocabulary.
The book has very clear, concise illustrations which are wonderful aids, and there are small tips throughout the book as well.
The next part of the book is about advanced signing and signing with toddlers. I've noticed Chandler has started to pick up some signs and looks quite proud of himself when he signs them. I think it's pretty cute too and love that he is learning a new skill.
As if this book isn't a good enough teaching aid, it also includes an appendix with FAQ's, dad's special rules, fun and games, and online resources. There is also journaling space in the back, which is nice to write down notes.
I think if I had read this book before signing with Chandler, I wouldn't have given up so easily with him.

Cons: I honestly have never read a book on baby sign language, so I don't have anything to compare this one to, but I don't have any Cons. The book is very well written, is concise and easy to understand, and has great illustrations, plus the techniques really work.

The Bottom Line: A wonderful book that will help you and your baby learn sign language. I would definitely recommend this if you want to start signing with your baby.

Where to Buy: Amazon - The Complete Idiot's Guide to Baby Sign Language, 2nd Edition

The book retails for $14.95, but I noticed you can get it for $10.12 on Amazon. Definitely worth every penny! It would make a great baby gift too.


Rating: Excellent


Want to win a copy?

Here's how to enter: (There will be 2 winners!)


Tell me why you think signing with your baby is important - 1 entry


Additional entries:

Put me on your blogroll (text link) - 1 entry

Follow me - 1 entry

Blog or tweet this giveaway - 1 entry


Please leave each entry as a separate comment.


Giveaway is open to US & Canada residents and will close May 25 at 11:59 MST. I will contact winner and winner has 48 hours to reply or I will draw a new winner.

post signature

50 comments:

The Bluths said...

I signed with Logan and it helped so much. I haven't really started doing it with Gavin because I feel like he wouldn't get it yet (wrong on my part). Because it helped so much the first time I feel it important to try it with Gavin too.

The Bluths said...

Blog roll :)

Ashley said...

I signed with Jack and I loved that he was able to tell me when he wanted milk, to eat or more. he still uses some signs now even though he can say the words too.

Andrea said...

I signed with my 1st child and it is so nice for him to sign more instead of just screaming and pointing...I need to get on the ball with my 2nd child

Unknown said...

If you have ever been around a baby who has been taught to sign you know why it is important. Its a great tool for communication since babies learn to communicate through gestures before speech.

My friend is due with her first baby and I would love to give her this book!

ferriza2(at)yahoo(dot)com

MOMFOREVERANDEVER said...

if they start early it is natural and they don't feel strained to learn

Carrie M said...

I think it is very important to sign with my baby because it helps them develop faster and she will be able to communicate her needs to me faster with sign than vocally.

Suann47 said...

Because it teaches them to communicate better later on I believe!

Janaca said...

I didn't sign with Jordan but wish I would've so I'd love to try with Jackson. I think it's important because they can communicate more at an earlier age. I know Jordan will get so frustrated at times when I don't understand and I think signing would definitely help!

Janaca said...

You're on my blog roll.

Janaca said...

I follow too!

Unknown said...

I think that signing with babies is important so that they can tell you what they want before they learn to talk.

Unknown said...

I follow you.

Unknown said...

You're on my blog roll.

http://lovemy2dogs.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I tweeted.

Emilee said...

I am interested in baby sign language because of the way it would stimulate the brain at an early age. I have been somewhat paranoid/obsessed with autism and in the research that I have done I have learned that the earlier you can detect the problem and work with the child the better the child’s mental capacity will be in the future. The problem is that many people don’t question their child’s development until about the age of 2. That is 2 years of potential brain development and restructuring lost. I have thought that if you could work on sign language at a younger age then you would get a jumpstart on brain development regardless if the child has a learning impairment or not. I don’t blog or tweet but I do follow your blogs and would be interested in this book. –Emilee Hunter

A Reader said...

I think it could start the communication process sooner.
Thanks for the giveaway!
Kimspam66(at)yahoo(dot)com

Dazzled by Diapers said...

My son is just a few months old, but I have heard wonderful things about signing so I thought I should look into it so that he can communicate with me as soon as possible.

Dazzled by Diapers said...

I follow.

Dazzled by Diapers said...

I took your button because it's nicer than a text link and all my text links are very low on the page.

Dazzled by Diapers said...

I tweeted:

Darlene said...

I think it is wonderful for babies to learn to sign so they can communicate and not feel so frustrated.

The Merry Death said...

I think it's important because sometimes verbal communication can be difficult. Plus I know sign language from my job and want my children to be able to use ASL as well.
meredycat*lycos*com

The Merry Death said...

Tweet!https://twitter.com/meredycat/status/1772317949
meredycat*lycos*com

The Merry Death said...

follower.
meredycat*lycos*com

Pam said...

Children are capable of so much language before they are physically capable of speech. Signing helps to reduce their frustration and gives them a way to successfully express themselves at a younger age. It's a great way to improve expressive language.

melacan at hotmail dot com

Pam said...

Follower

melacan at hotmail dot com

Hillary said...

I think this book is excellent. I met a woman the other day who has a non verbal child, but they can communicate through sign language. I have a neice who is very hard of hearing and she has a baby coming next month, and I would love to give this to her. Thanks for the contest!

hillary26@gmail.com

Jennireesa/Jennifer W. said...

I would love teach my daughter to sign. I think it's important because she will be able to communicate with me at an earlier age.

clenna said...

We are teaching our grandkids sign. It is so much easier and less frustrating when we communicate with the babies. Saves a lot of tears.

Mrs. Loquacious said...

My hubby & I are just about to start our family and one thing he has been insistent on is that we teach our babies to sign from a young age (I agree!).

Before oral language skills develop, it is essential that our children have the means to communicate with us; this helps alleviate frustration on both theirs and our part, and it empowers our kids to be able to express themselves through more than one medium (crying). I believe that a stronger parent-child bond is fostered by this enhanced ability to communicate, so I am a huge proponent of baby sign.

samarcy said...

i think this would be wonderful for the twins, something that they need to learn with all the children in this house.

Kristie said...

I think it's a great way for them to communicate before they can talk. I think it helps cut down on tantrums too! :-)

khmorgan_00 [at] yahoo [dot] com

Annie said...

I think teaching babies to sign is very important because it helps them express a form of self control- yes- they are choosing to use a sign instead of screaming or grunting.

I also think it is simply less frusterating once they get they hang of it.

Annie said...

I added you to my blog roll

Annie said...

I am now following

Sara said...

You are on my blogroll!

Sara said...

I'm a follower.

Sara said...

I think it is important because it gives you multiple ways to communicate!!

Joel & Lila said...

we are signing with Calvin, and it is a lot of fun because we are finally starting to see him understanding the concepts of things such as EAT, MILK, MAMA...it is so important to help get communication skills going. Less tantrums too

Joel & Lila said...

I follow

Joel & Lila said...

Blog Roll...of course!

Madeline said...

I've picked up a few signs here and there and taught them to my baby. Even though, we only know a few signs, those few have really averted tantrums. My baby can communicate some of his basic needs now without crying. I would love to be able to teach him more.

The Fishers said...

Babies who can sign are able to communicate at a much earlier age. I want to be able to sign with my son as soon as he is able so the book would be a great help.

The Fishers said...

I follow

Emmy Coffee said...

It helps create neuron connections for the baby's brain

Cory and Becca said...

hi i follow u ;)

Cory and Becca said...

i think signing is a great way to foster learning and better communication prior to speaking...

danosor said...

I am a subscriber.

Cascia Talbert said...

I taught my son a few words in sign language when he was about 6 mos old. Teaching your child sign language at an early age helps with communication and language development. I am expecting my fourth child in August and would love to know even more words to teach the new baby.