Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Target Brand Diapers


I must admit, I love Target.  Love their store, love their stuff!  I remember buying Target brand diapers when Chan was little and using them for a while.  I stopped using them and couldn't remember why, so I bought another pack and decided to give them a go.


Pros:  These diapers are extremely affordable.  I got a jumbo pack in a size 5 for Chan.  It had 30 diapers and was less than $6.  Right now there is a cute frog/bug design.  The top part of the diaper is stretchy in the middle, both front and back giving a snug fit to your baby.  The inside also feels quite soft.  They aren't as bulky as some of the generic diapers  and actually hold quite a bit.  

Cons:  These don't have the stretchy tabs like a lot of diapers do now.  I really don't like that because that means the diaper doesn't give as much and move with your child, and therefore you might have more leaks.  They also seem a bit smaller than the leading brand diapers in a size 5.  In using 1 pack of diapers, we had three bad experiences with this diaper.  #1 - No matter how tight I fastened this diaper, it seemed to sag down,  even with a diaper that isn't very full. I caught Chandler flashing his little bum a few times :) #2 - One day I saw Chandler grabbing at his pants and walking funny.  He kept saying, "Oh no!"  When I went to change his diaper, the tab on the left side had completely torn off, meaning his diaper was hanging by one tab and not doing it's job.  Need I say more? #3 - On another occasion I noticed Chan had brown on his hands.  Then I realized he had blown out of the back of his diaper halfway up his back.  It was obviously bothering him, so he put his hand on his back to figure out what was going on.  1 crappy diaper (pun intended) resulted in poopy clothes, poopy hands, and a much needed bath.  Personally, I'd rather pay 10-15 cents more for a diaper that works than do that extra laundry and give an extra bath.  I don't remember the target brand diapers performing this poorly.  I should probably go up to a size 6 and give them another try, but I'd rather use a better diaper in a size 5 that performs like it should.

The Bottom Line:  Terrible generic diaper, won't buy again, wouldn't recommend.

Price: $6 for a jumbo pack, $15 for a box
Approximate price per diaper:
Size 1 - $.12
Size 2 - $.14
Size 3 - $.16
Size 4 - $.18
Size 5 - $.20
Size 6 - $.22

Where to Buy:  Target

Rating:  Terrible

Comments from readers:

"My eldest and youngest seem to have explosive BM's (sorry for being so explicit) but my middle child did not and I could use just about anything with him. I used Target brand and Luvs mostly for him. I will add that my eldest is a girl and youngest is a boy, so I do not think the gender issue has anything to do with it."  - Fran, mom to Becca, Kevin & Sean

4 comments:

The Cederstrom's said...

I use Target diapers all the time. I think that it has a lot to do with the skinny kid/chubby kid thing again. I've never had a problem with these diapers, so try them out you might just be surprised.

tiff snedaker said...

Both of my boys have kind of been on both sides of the spectrum though....
They both started out in the 90% for height and weight. Now Chan is only 20% for weight and 70% for height, while Rowan is 50% for weight and 50% for height. So while they've both started out chubby, they've both thinned out quite a bit.

Riley Family said...

I wasn't sure where to post this comment... I'll just do it here. I just bought a jumbo pack of Target diapers & was surprised to notice the tabs have changed to (somewhat) stretchy tabs like most other brands now. A nice surprise. My son is skinny & has hard bowel movements, so he never leaks out of diapers. I go with Target b/c they are cheap, but sometimes I splurge on Pampers... they are so much softer!

Unknown said...

I've been using Target brand diapers for both of my kids for over a year now, and I have no complaints. They fit well, very rarely leak, and are really affordable. My kids are average in terms of weight and height, so I don't know if that makes the difference for us. However, I used Target brand training pants for my oldest during potty training, and they broke open constantly. But the diapers are great.